South Tynedale Railway
Opened in 1851, South Tynedale railway was under the control of British Rail (BR) up until 1973 when BR announced its closure. The railway closed in 1976, but volunteers grouped together in an attempt to purchase and preserve the line. In 1983, the South Tynedale Railway Preservation society (STRPS) was registered as a Company Limited by Guarantee, and that same year under the management of the society, the railway re-opened between Alston and Haltwhistle following the former BR route. In the subsequent thirty years, the railway has expanded gradually.